Dear Telesis Families,
It is a sincere honor and privilege to welcome you to our academy. Last year proved to be quite challenging with the pandemic forever changing schooling as we have known it. Moving into the 2021-2022 school year, we understand that students, staff, and parents have a variety of different needs and expectations of what this new school year will bring. We believe that returning to campus is a step in the right direction to embrace the new better and launch the school year together as one.
Health and safety are always a top priority for Telesis students and staff. We realize how important it is to share with the community what we have done to prepare for our safe return to campus. In alignment with health orders, students and staff will wear face coverings while indoors regardless of vaccination status. Additionally, we have put into place a variety of precautions to prevent the spread of illness. They include:
- All of our classrooms and schools have been cleaned and sanitized
- Desk shields are on each student desk, in the front offices, cafeteria serving areas, and library circulation desks
- Air filters have been replaced with MERV 13 filters
- A HEPA air filter has been placed in each classroom and most common areas for additional air filtration
- School staff and student entrances have the only FDA approved thermal camera system to screen temperatures as we enter campus
- All employees are expected to use the electronic symptom check each day before reporting to work
- All students, with the support of parents, are expected to conduct a health self-check daily before coming to school
- Large tents have been placed around campus to provide additional outdoor learning and eating spaces on all campuses
- all drinking fountains have been removed and replaced with touchless bottle filling stations
- Hand sanitizer stations are in each classroom and common area
- We have a school COVID-19 safety team established and the District has a full COVID-19 Response Team in place.
We are very excited about beginning our tenth year as a No Excuses University Preparatory Academy. NEU coupled with our focus on science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) will prepare our children for college and career readiness. We continue our professional relationship with the California Science Center. In its sixth year, this partnership supports the staff in designing inquiry-based science and engineering lessons around the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and is integrated throughout the curriculum.
In previous years, the Telesis staff, students, parents, and community have been dedicated to the hard work that earned us the title of one of the Top Los Angeles County Public Schools for Underserved Students. In addition, we are a California Gold Ribbon School, a Title I Academic Achievement School, and a California Honor Roll School. Our entire staff is committed to providing an outstanding educational environment that addresses the needs of every child. We also believe that students who learn and develop outstanding character traits will go further and achieve more in life.
Telesis is home to many wonderful families who make education a priority and support our school in a variety of ways. It is our hope and desire that you will also connect with our community and make it your own.
Please continue to use our school website as a reliable source for announcements and up-to-date information throughout the school year. I thank you for choosing Telesis as your place of learning and we all look forward to an awesome 2021-2022 school year!